A No-Nonsense Guide to Maintaining Liposuction Outcomes
- Posted on: Aug 31 2015
As the most frequently performed cosmetic surgical procedure in the country, liposuction techniques and technology are continuously developed and introduced. While technologies behind liposuction vary, the underlying principle of the procedure remains the same — eliminate unwanted pockets of fat.
Liposuction or any body contouring procedure is no guarantee against future weight gain. In other words, anyone considering liposuction should be committed to actively taking steps toward maintaining liposuction results through healthy eating habits and regular physical activity.
At Dr. Herte’s practice, we urge you to take the following steps in preserving the body-contouring outcomes of liposuction:
- Be at or close to your ideal body weight. Remember, liposuction is for sculpting not weight loss.
- Commit to making lifestyle changes before surgery. Take small steps as part of your lifestyle overhaul before having liposuction (i.e. 30 minutes of brisk walking daily).
- Consume a diet of less-processed whole foods. It is best to focus on the quality of your food sources rather than worry about calorie counting or obsessing over food portions.
- Do not skip meals. You will most likely end up overeating to compensate for the skipped meal.
- Be meticulous with how you hydrate. Often, extreme thirst is misinterpreted as hunger. Listen to your body.
- Consider exercise or a regular physical activity as part of your daily routine rather than as a chore.
- You do not have to pay for expensive gym memberships. Figure out which physical activity you enjoy the most (swimming, team sports, resistance exercises, Pilates, yoga) and build a habit out of those that you think will help you sustain an active lifestyle.
- Visit your liposuction surgeon regularly! A patient-plastic surgeon relationship doesn’t end after the procedure but should be sustained post-surgery. This means regular follow-up visits with Dr. Herte to help monitor the procedure’s progress, check for possible complications, and assess the need for procedures that may complement your liposuction results.
Talk to us today to learn more about liposuction and similar body contouring procedures. Call 702.732.9600 to set up an appointment.
Posted in: Liposuction