How to Obtain the Best Possible Results from Liposuction
Liposuction has certainly come a long way since it was first seriously studied as a body contouring procedure in the late 1960s. Various techniques have been introduced for the past four decades resulting to continuous advancements and variations of the procedure — from use of local anesthesia to shorter recovery periods. In addition, it is now possible to use fat obtained from liposuction as a filler in improving the appearance of cheeks, breasts, and buttocks.
The Popularity of Liposuction
The most recent statistics by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery revealed that liposuction was the most frequently performed surgical cosmetic procedure in 2013, toppling breast augmentation which reigned supreme in 2012.
Such popularity may be attributed to several factors. The widespread marketing of minimally invasive techniques and growing availability of newer techniques, such as the assistance of ultrasound in conjunction with the various tumescent techniques, which utilizes the injection of a fluid to maximize results and minimize bruising.
Our esteemed cosmetic plastic surgeon, Dr. Mary C. Herte, was fortunate to train with Dr. Yves Gerard Illouz (the developer of the gold standard technique of liposuction), who shook the cosmetic surgery world with this revolutionary technique that finally made fat removal safe and practical and also possible through very small incisions.
Before liposuction, body contouring could only be performed by making large incisions to wedge out the offending skin and fat and resulted in large scars and long recovery. It was a choice made only for those with severe body shape distortion. Today even small changes justify the much easier and faster recovery procedure of liposuction.
Short recovery periods following the procedure is another factor that has made liposuction the top body contouring procedure of choice for many. Moreover, liposuction has also proven that it delivers what it promises.
Doing Your Part to Achieve Desired Outcomes from Liposuction
Choosing a highly experienced liposuction surgeon is one of the key factors that will help you achieve the results you want from the procedure. However, you also need to do your part by taking the following steps:
- Wear your compression garment as instructed following your liposuction procedure. They are crucial in helping minimize bruising and swelling (which are quite common) following the procedure. Compression also helps prevent or minimize sagging of the skin.
- Achieve your best stable weight before your liposuction. Fluctuations in weight and fitness level will unbalance your result. Even weight loss can change the fat layer so carefully sculpted with your liposuction procedure. Best candidates for liposuction are at or near their goal weight for surgery.
- Keep in mind that liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss. While removing fat cells from a certain area will minimize that area’s ability to store fat, liposuction will not prevent you from gaining weight in the future. Staying at your goal weight after the procedure is also necessary in order to maintain your result.
- Incorporate regular exercise to your lifestyle. Keeping fit will help you stabilize your weight and maintain your result. You do not have to run marathons every month or take CrossFit classes. The main takeaway is the importance of being on the inside as well as looking good on the outside. Before you engage in an exercise routine or physical activity following the procedure, Dr. Herte will gradually increase your activity level depending on your recovery progress.
- Be patient. Although you will see immediate changes to your shape quickly after surgery, it may take several weeks or months for the final effects of liposuction to be seen.
Despite its popularity, liposuction is not for everyone. If you’d like to know more about the procedure and whether or not you’re an ideal candidate, we encourage you to get in touch with us to schedule a consultation with Dr. Herte. Call us today at 702.732.9600 or receive more information by filling out this contact form. We look forward to your visit!